Community & School Gardens
A community garden is any piece of land gardened by a group of people.
In the City of York, most of the community gardens are neighborhood gardens where a group of people come together to grow fruits, vegetables, flowers and native plants. Neighborhood gardens are places to visit, enjoy and volunteer.
Some community gardens in York are divided into individual plots where an individual gardener has her/his own plot and can grow her/his own vegetables. Check the list below for community gardens that may have plots available for free or for a nominal rental.
If you would like to start a community garden in your neighborhood, please contact: Thomas L. Smith at Keep York Beautiful for assistance at 717 840 2375, email@example.com, www.facebook.com/KeepYorkBeautiful.
For answers to home gardening questions please contact the Penn State Extension York County Master Gardener Garden Hotline at 717 840 7408, firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Resources page.
Gardeners are encouraged to visit demonstration gardens to see plants that grow well in our area and talk to experts. Two local demonstration gardens/farms are:
John Rudy County Park Demonstration Gardens
400 Mundis Race Rd, York, PA 17406
The Demonstration Gardens are open to the public during regular park hours.
York Fresh Food Farms
150 Willis Road, York, PA 17404
Contact Farm Manager Bruce Manns to arrange a visit at 717 424 2813, email@example.com
City of York Community Gardens
- Cottage Hill Garden
- Cottage Hill Rd. and Stevens Rd., York (approximately 355 Cottage Hill Rd.)
- Contact: Annalisa Gojmerac 717-225-6581
- Unitarian Universalist Congregation of York – individual plots may be available
- Royal Square Gardens
- Royal Square District – 100 Block of: E. King St., S. Duke St., E. Princess St. and S. Queen St. (approximately 114 S Howard Ave.)
- Contact: Annalisa Gojmerac – 717-225-6581
- Broad St. Community Garden – individual plots may be available
- 51 N Broad St., York
- Contact: Northeast Neighborhood Association – 717-578-8979
- God’s Garden (Our Daily Bread) – individual plots may be available
- 331 S. George St., York (rear property – approximately 337 S. Court St.)
- Contact: Mark Luckenbill – 717-309-7150
- United Way Community Garden – individual plots may be available
- 800 E. King St., York
- Contact: Paige Nenstiel – 717-854-5090
- Hope Street Garden & Learning Lab
- 446 W. Hope Ave., York
- Contact: Anne Clark – 717-817-4019
- College Ave. and Penn St.
- 254 S. Penn St., York
- Neighborhood Representative – Miss Yoko (no contact information available)